Building Official Contact Information:

The Chief Building Official position is a shared service with the Municipality of Callander. Cameron Karpenko is available to Nipissing residents at the Township Office on Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Chief Building Official: Cameron Karpenko
Phone: 705-724-2144
Fax: 705-724-5385

Building Permit Application (PDF)
Building Permit Application (Doc)


Owner Commitment to General Review Form

2017 Building By-Law:


Role of the Chief Building Official:

The Chief Building Official is here to ensure Building Code Compliance, while managing Liability. The Chief Building Official does not get involved in project design, consulting, or managing work sites/projects.

New Homes:

If building a new home, please include this form with application.

Occupancy Requirements:

Please click link below for Occupancy Information

Building Permit FAQs:

How to apply for a building permit
To apply for a permit, please provide the following;
1. A completed application, (Application can be printed by clicking link above)
2. A site plan
3. Two (2) sets of Construction drawings with sufficient detail.

How long does it take to get my permit?
A permit can usually be issued in a few days, provided the application is complete and the drawings are adequate.

*More complex projects may take more time. In some instances, approvals are necessary from the North Bay Mattawa Conservation Authority, which can lead to undetermined wait times. Provincial mandate gives the CBO 10 days to process an application, but please note that the CBO IS ONLY IN the Township of Nipissing on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

How do I know when I need a permit?
A quick call to the CBO at 705-724-2144 will get you a definite answer.
*Typically, if it deals with structure, safety items including interior or exterior railings/guards, insulation, masonry or plumbing or foundation repairs, you need a permit. Decks under 24 inches from grade (measured from walking surface to the adjacent ground) that don’t have or require a railings/guards, re-shingling a roof, replacing deck boards, replacing siding (unless it involves masonry), replacing doors and windows (unless you are enlarging the opening) all do not require a permit. But please call for clarification.

Building a Deck?

When building decks, please fill out the deck checklist below to accompany drawings:

Heating With Wood?

A Guide to Residential Wood Heating
Wood Heating

What are permit fees?

Fee Description Authority Section Fee Amount
(new, additions, renovations, plumbing, etc.) Building Code Act 7(c) $8.60/$1000 of construction
Minimum Permit Fee $130.00
2. DEMOLITION Building Code Act 7(c) $100.00
3. CONDITIONAL Building Code Act 7(c) $130.00 plus $8.60/$1000 of construction value
4. CHANGE OF USE Building Code Act 7(c) $130.00 plus $8.60/$1000 of construction value
(Building) Municipal Act 391(1) $110.00
2. SPECIAL INSPECTION Municipal Act 391(1) $160.00
3. REINSPECTION Municipal Act 391(1) $120.00
5. APPLICATION FOR TRANSFER OF PERMIT Municipal Act 391 (1) $25.00

Changes to the Building Code are here!

Effective January 1st, 2015, all residential dwellings are required to have an interconnected smoke detector in every bedroom and on every floor. As per the AODA, smoke detectors are required to have strobe lighting.

As of Jan 1st, 2012, the rules for insulation and energy efficiency for housing will change. There are different approaches, through Energuide, or compliance to the new SB-12 component of the code. New home plans will have to be considerably more detailed with Information concerning window performance, Type of heating and efficiency ratings of the furnace, window to wall ratios, and so on. It will be a lot more work and planning on the designers shoulders for the most part. The Township of Nipissing building department will be looking for THIS DOCUMENT to be filled out by the designer and accompany a permit application. Note, this only applies to new homes.

Another change is the mandatory occupancy inspection for new houses constructed after 2012. Contractors/homeowners/representatives are required to contact the building department to perform an occupancy inspection prior to any habitation of the home. While in the past it was good practice in general, it is now mandatory. Please ensure your home has had an occupancy inspection by the CBO prior to moving in. Its now law. Occupancy Permit Requirements are referenced in Part 3, under Division C of the Building Code.

For more information on both issues:

What is an Occupancy Permit?

  • An occupancy permit attests to the general conformance of the new construction or renovations to the Ontario Building Code based on the inspections undertaken at the completion of key stages of construction pursuant to the Building Code Act.
  • An occupancy permit does not certify or warrant the work or workmanship of a builder, only general conformance with the Ontario Building Code.
  • For the Township, it confirms that the minimum requirements for occupancy as set out in the Building Code have been met and that all inspections have passed.
  • For the legal representatives acting on behalf of a purchaser of a home, it is a tool for assessing the status of the building/property being transferred.
  • For the property owner, it confirms that any identified Building Code deficiencies noted during any of the scheduled inspections by a the Building Official have been resolved.
    There are two kinds of Occupancy Permits: Partial Occupancy Permits and Final Occupancy Permits.
  • A Partial Occupancy Permit is issued where the permit holder wishes to allow occupancy to occur in an unfinished building. For a residential occupancy, the above minimum occupancy requirements apply.
  • A Final Occupancy Permit is issued when construction is complete and all outstanding Code deficiencies as listed in Inspection Reports have been addressed.
  • An “Occupancy Permit” is issued in accordance with the Building By-Law. The Building Code requires a “permit” to be issued, stating that occupancy not occur until the builder/permit holder has completed construction to the extent that the new construction or addition meets the minimum occupancy requirements set out in the Code.

For example: the “minimum occupancy requirements” for a single-family residence include:

  • Required exits, handrails and guards, fire alarm and detection systems, and fire separations must be complete, operational and inspected;
  • Water supply, sewage disposal, lighting and heating systems must be complete and operational.
  • Building water systems, building drains, building sewers, and drainage and venting systems must be complete, operational, inspected and tested.